Whether having your first child or you already have a few, the internet can give you resources that were never available before. Below are some of the best blogs for expectant mothers and fathers for help with everything from birthing to breastfeeding and more.
Best Health Blogs by Professionals for Expectant Parents
- Motherlode Blog: Lisa Belkin is a contributing writer for “The New York Times Magazine” and worked for nearly 10 years as the Life’s Work columnist for “The New York Times.” Read her blog on everything from tips for expectant mothers to raising happy children.
- Momma Data: Polly is a psychologist, mother of three, and child-research junkie eager to check up on the accuracy of parenting information. Visit her for what parents don’t always learn from journalists, parenting experts, pediatricians, or the know-it-all mom down the street.
- Mommy Track’d: This community of mothers take you through all aspects of parenthood. Get a survival guide, use the virtual toolbox, and much more on this site.
- Pregnancy Information: Get tons of resources on iVillage in addition to their useful blog. You can get tips on conception, pregnancy, what to expect during the first year, and a recent article taught how to tell your boss about a pregnancy.
- Pregnancy Blog: The experts at “Pregnancy Weekly” bring you this blog for your most important 40 weeks. Recent posts dealt with folic acid and at home gender tests.
- Pregnancy & Birth: Parent Dish is a popular online community and offers tips on a variety of motherhood issues. The pregnancy section can help with many issues such as names, health, the latest issues, and more.
- Pregnancy Blog: Kim and Pattie blog for Families.com on all aspects of pregnancy. In addition to topics such as probiotics and postpartum depression, you can also get links to other resources offered by the site.
- Getting Pregnant: Blog: The experts at “Getting Pregnant” bring you a blog full of advice for expectant mothers. Visit here for the latest news, product reviews, and more.
- Pregnancy at More4Kids: More4Kids is dedicated to bringing quality pregnancy, parenting, and educational resources to their visitors. Recent posts included the early signs of pregnancy, along with danger signs.
- The Pregnancy Zone: Stop here for many posts by experts on various pregnancy topics. Recent entries include miscarriage, preeclampsia, and the most important exercises for pregnant women.
- MomWithAStethoscope: A middle aged mother and M.D. inhabits a midatlantic state with a middle of the road frame of mind. She writes about being a mom, wife, physician, and more.
Best Community Blogs for Expectant Mothers
When one blogger isn’t enough, visit here to get the best in varying opinions or even to dish out your own two cents.
- Café Mom: Join the over 1 million mothers who have entered this online community. They have many groups for expectant mothers, or you can even get a baby name finder and ticker.
- Real Mom Blogs: Fit Pregnancy has tons of resources for expectant mothers, including many expert blogs. You can choose blogs on pregnancy, diet, real life stories, or even from a professional labor nurse.
- Pregnancy: Part of BlogHer, you can get tons of stories on the latest in pregnancy. Read the blogs of top editors, regular women, or start your own.
- Mom Central: Revolution Health has many communities with a health related theme, including those for mothers. Groups include new moms, moms with toddlers, stay at home moms, and more.
- Childbirth Connection: Both parents and healthcare professionals will enjoy this site due to its content specified just for them. Expectant mothers can get information on all different sorts of birth methods, recommendations on books and resources, or they can even read the information for the health professionals.
- Type A Mom: This site is designed for all sorts of mothers, even beyond Type A. Get tons of useful articles, tips, and even eBooks.
- Babies Online: Get a load of resources on pregnancy, babies, and more on this blog. You can even get links to free baby stuff, along with help and resources.
Best Blogs for Expectant Mothers by Other Mothers
Everyday mothers share their wisdom, experience, and tips on these blogs.
- Octopus Mom: Not the other one, this mom has only three children and juggles many tasks, making her an octopus mom. This short blog already has nearly 40,000 hits and covers many topics such as prenatal ultrasounds, how to prevent childhood obesity, and more.
- Bellyitch: JJ is a “mompreneur” and a mother of three. Her top posts include best diaper bags, prenatal and postnatal exercise, and snarky responses to annoying questions.
- Pregnancy Glee: Dana Prince offers information for pre-conception, pregnancy, and beyond. Recent posts were on anemia, transitioning to stay at home mom, and how to quit smoking when pregnant.
- Natural Pregnancy Project: Katie believes in empowerment for natural pregnancy and childbirth. You can get information on a ton of topics including breastfeeding, different trimesters, diet, videos, and more.
- Preg’s List: Get information for moms and dads on pregnancy, product reviews, and advice. Get answers to interesting questions such as cesarean birth, orgasms, and organic choices.
- Adventures in Babymaking: Even though they haven’t updated in a while, parents looking to create a baby will enjoy reading the story of how these parents got their twins through IVF.
- Stirrup Queens: This is a blog about infertility and pregnancy loss, an exploration of adoption, a bitch session about daily life, and much more. Visit for humor, news, stories, and her forthright opinion.
- BlueSuitMom: In addition to her blog on working and motherhood, you can also get advice on career, money, health, and more. You can even listen to her on Mom Talk Radio.
- Silicon Valley Moms: A variety of moms contribute to this blog on all things motherhood. You can also get links to many other blogs including moms by area or moms 50 and older.
Best Blogs for Soon-to-be Dads
Move over moms, dads have a part in this too. Check out the below for the best in fatherly advice.
- Daddy Types: Greg specifically designed his blog to give tips, advice, and answers to new dads. Posts often include products and news of interest for fathers.
- I’m Not a Slacker: This father does not believe in outsourcing parenting and is very proud. Get interesting and often humorous stories on this blog.
- Rebel Dad: Are you one of the many growing stay at home dads? Then learn how to do it right with the help of this blog.
- Great Dad Blog: Get many useful tips and product reviews with the father in mind. You can also get advice on how to help with pregnancy.
- GeekDad: This father is busy raising the next generation of geeks. Find out which products interest him, along with fun projects to do with the kids.
- Digital Dad: New dads interested in technology for themselves and their children will enjoy this blog. Read about the latest technologies, along with parenting advice.
- Modern Day Dad: Get loads of advice on parenting from this self described “new school dad.” He even includes things that interest him such as how to play lullaby versions of rock songs and purchase alphabet shaped tater tots.
- Best Dad Blog: Ken recently found out that he and his wife are expecting. Read more about his adventures in this newly started blog.
Best Blogs From Medical Professionals for Expectant Mothers
These blogs are ideal for getting the free and expert opinion of a nurse, obstetrician, midwife, and even medical librarian.
- Pregnancy Week by Week: Mary is a certified nurse and midwife at the Mayo Clinic. In addition to the informative blog, expectant mothers can also get tons of information on pregnancy and health.
- Ob/Gyn Kenobi: Get an inside look at pregnancy from this OB/GYN. A recent entry dealt with getting paged for various emergencies.
- The Working Woman’s Pregnancy Book: Marjorie is a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist and fellow of the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology. Visit her blog for expert advice, reviews, and more.
- At Your Cervix: This blog contains the musings, ranting, ravings, and other crazy thoughts from a labor and delivery nurse. In addition to her work, you can also get posts on her daily life.
- The Adventures of a Traveling OB Nurse: This nurse is from Redding, California and has just recently given up her post to become a traveling nurse. A heart breaking entry dealt with a meth addicted mother’s birth.
- Mostly True Stories: Visit her for tales from nursing school, travel, labor, and delivery. Get many true life birthing stories told in a humorous and frank manner.
- Women’s Health News: Rachel is a medical librarian from Nashville and often blogs on pregnancy issues in addition to women’s health. You can also get posts on news, politics, and other related information.
Best Health Blogs for Birthing
Once the nine months is up, mothers can be in for the experience of a lifetime. Learn what to expect by reading these blogs, along with your various options.
- Giving Birth With Confidence: Judith and Charlotte are the co-authors of “The Official Lamaze Guide: Giving Birth with Confidence,” which is the only book endorsed by Lamaze International. They often take a birthing headline, give their opinion, and often allow comments or guest bloggers.
- Birth Network: Mothers looking to examine all of their birthing options should visit here. You can get the latest news, studies, and other resources for alternative birthing methods.
- Spinning Babies: Learn the Optimal Fetal Positioning technique to learn how to naturally ease your baby into the world. You can also get real stories, research, and useful links.
- The LaborPayne Epistles: This blog is written by a nurse and mother who calls herself a “birth apostle.” Get her alternative point of view, along with musings.
- Pregnancy, Birth, and Babies: On this blog you can find information about different topics for expectant and new parents, as well as local resources for Orange County, California. In addition to the blog, you can get birthing videos, pictures, and links to other sites.
- HypnoBirthing Blog: Learn more about this drugless alterative to traditional labor by visiting here. Katherine shares her experiences with this practice, along with videos of actual births.
- The Trial of Labor: Kimberly James has had a number of miscarriages and shares her story hear. She also finds posts related to different birth methods and gives her thoughts.
Soon to be moms and dads can save hours of sifting through internet sites and blogs by visiting these top pregnancy and parenting blogs. Be sure to remember that any medical advice given on these blogs should be spoken about with your doctor and that every family is different.Source