Friday, May 12, 2006
Thursday, May 11, 2006
- Shoulder rotation- Relax your neck and bring your shoulders forward, rotating them up toward your ears and then back down. Rotate your shoulders in both directions.
- Neck rotation- Relax your neck and shoulders. Drop your head forward and slowly rotate your left shoulder, back to the middle, and then to your right shoulder. Rotate your neck in both directions.
- Arm stretch- Interlace your fingers behind your back and gently pull your arms up toward the ceiling being careful not to overstretch your joints. Hold, release, and repeat.
- Leg stretch- Lie on your left side with your head supported by a pillow. Bend your left leg at the knee and place your right hand on the floor for support. Lift your straightened right leg toward the ceiling and lower it to the floor. Repeat and switch sides.
- Calf stretch- Stand about 2 feet from a wall with one foot about 2 feet in front of the other. Reach your hands to the wall and lean forward, bending your elbows as your body tilts. Keep your toes pointed forward and heels on the floor. Switch sides.
It's a boy if:
- You didn't experience morning sickness in early pregnancy
- Your baby's heart rate is less than 140 beats per minute
- You are carrying the extra weight out front
- Your belly looks like a basketball
- Your areolas have darkened considerably
- You are carrying low
- You are craving salty or sour foods
- You are craving protein
--meats and cheese
- Your feet are colder than they were before pregnancy
- The hair on your legs has grown faster during pregnancy
- Your hands are very dry
- Your pillow faces north when you sleep
- Dad-to-be is gaining weight, right along with you
- Pregnancy has you looking better than ever
- Your urine is bright yellow in color
- Your nose is spreading
- You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves in circles
- You are having headaches
- You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an even number
It's a girl if:
- You had morning sickness early in pregnancy
- Your baby's heart rate is at least 140 beats per minute
- You are carrying the weight in your hips and rear
- Your left breast is larger than your right breast
- Your hair develops red highlights
- You are carrying high
- Your belly looks like a watermelon
- You are craving sweets
- You are craving fruit
- You crave orange juice
- You don't look quite as good as normal during pregnancy
- You are moodier than usual during pregnancy
- Your face breaks out more than usual
- You refuse to eat the heel of a loaf of bread
- Your breasts have really blossomed!
- Your pillow faces south when you sleep
- Your urine is a dull yellow color
- You hang your wedding ring over your belly and it moves from side to side
- You add your age at the time of conception and the number for the month you conceived and the sum is an odd number
Wednesday, May 10, 2006
The NIH team studied 9,000 mothers and children in Avon, UK through the long-running Avon Longitudinal Study of Parents and Children. They reported that those women who consumed very little omega-3 fatty acid during their pregnancies had children with IQs that were six points lower than the average. The children were also found to lack poorer motor skills and hand-to-eye coordination.
By the age of 7, 14 percent of those children whose mothers ate the least of oily fish during pregnancy had poor social skills and could not make friends easily, compared with 8 percent of those whose mothers had the highest intake.
They observed that when children reached 3-1/2 years of age, they had the best measures of motor performance if their mothers had the highest intake of oily fish during their pregnancies.
The omega-3 fatty acid is an essential and crucial nutrient for brain and eye development. Fishes containing favorable amounts of omega-3 fatty acids are tuna, salmon, mackerel, trout, swordfish, haddock, herring and sardine. With issues arising from pollutants like mercury and dioxin found in these fishes, it has been recommended that two portions of oily fish be taken weekly.
Other good sources are seeds such as flax, pumpkin and hemp. About two tablespoons of seeds taken daily is needed to achieve the beneficial effect. Otherwise choose a good quality omega-3 supplement.Source: American Chronicle
"I think it's a $3 million photo," Frank Griffin, a photographer and co-owner of the paparazzi agency Bauer-Griffin, told CNN. "People are prepared to pay that kind of money."
Peter Howe, author of the book, "Paparazzi," said, "If it really is exclusive, it could easily fetch $1 million. But before paying a sum like this, any magazine would be wise to investigate the circumstances under which it was taken and the possibility of others being in the market place." He continued, "If you do get a genuine, gold-plated exclusive, it will be worth every penny."
"Brad has made it his raison d'etre not to have pictures taken," Griffin said. "I think they'll probably do a set-up and use the benefits for charity. That will take some of the edge off."
Howe described Jolie as "about the most skillful manipulator of the media around today."
"She knows exactly how to play the game on her own terms, and when the pictures do appear, you can be fairly certain that it will be when and how she wanted them to," he said.
"My guess is that she will either tip off a tame photographer ... or she will keep the baby firmly under wraps, have some photographs taken and then release them when and to whom she wants. She may donate the money that they earn to one of the charities that she supports."With all this talk, check out how much they were really sold for.
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Dr. Jemma Johns of University College London led a study of 214 women who developed bleeding during the first three months of pregnancy and an equal number of pregnant women who did not have bleeding.
The women with threatened miscarriage were twice as likely as the comparison group to deliver prematurely (12 per cent versus six per cent). Premature deliveries were most likely to occur between the 34th and 37th weeks of pregnancy.
The threatened miscarriage group was also almost four times as likely to have early rupture of their membranes, or breaking of water. This occurred in seven per cent of the threatened miscarriage group and only two per cent of the other women.
The researchers suggest the increased risk of premature delivery in women with threatened miscarriage should be taken into consideration when making prenatal care and surveillance decisions.
Monday, May 08, 2006
- Squeeze and hold the muscles around the vagina as though you were stopping the flow of urine. Hold for 8 seconds, release, and repeat. Try to work three reps of ten throughout the day.
- Listen to music while doing the exercises.
- Kegels can be done anywhere without anyone noticing. Keep a calendar and friendly reminders around the house, at your desk, or in your car to keep you exercising regularly.